COVID -19 Canada Emergency Response Benefit. The Final Word?
The CERB provides a taxable benefit of $500 a week for up to 16 weeks. The benefit is available from March 15, 2020, to October 3, 2020. You can apply no later than December 2, 2020. The Benefit is only available to individuals who stopped work as a result of reasons related to COVID-19.
The benefit will be available to workers:
- You have been let go from your job or your hours have been reduced to zero;
- You are in quarantine or sick due to COVID-19;
- You are away from work to take care of others because they are in quarantine, sick due to COVID-19; and/or
- You are away from work to take care of children or other dependents whose care facility is closed due to COVID-19.
- Residing in Canada, who are at least 15 years old;
- Who has stopped working because of COVID-19 and have not voluntarily quit their job;
- Who had an income of at least $5,000 in 2019 or in the 12 months prior to the date of their application; and
- Who are or expect to be without employment or self-employment income for at least 14 consecutive days in the initial four-week period. For subsequent benefit periods, they expect to have no employment income.
- You cannot quit your job voluntarily.
How to apply
Applications for the CERB will begin the week of Monday, April 6, 2020.
There are two ways to apply:
- Online with CRA My Account
- Here is the link for you to apply for CRA My Account.
- Over the phone with an automated phone service 1-800-959-2019
After you have set up your account, you will return to the site based on the schedule below. To help with the large amount of traffic CRA is asking you to apply in the following order
- Jan – March Apply Monday, April 6
- April – June Apply Tuesday, April 7
- July – Sept Apply Wednesday, April 8
- Oct – Dec Apply Thursday, April 9
- Friday, Saturday and Sunday anyone can apply.
Instructions once you're in your CRA My Account
- Go to COVID-19: Canada Emergency Response Benefit in the alert banner at the top of the page
- Select the period you want to apply for
- Declare that you qualify for the benefit
- Confirm we have the right payment information
Apply again every 4 weeks
You will need to apply and confirm your eligibility for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit every 4 weeks (to a maximum of 16 weeks) if your situation continues.